Kailua-Kona, Island of Hawaii
Relaxing, understated indulgence, with a focus on all things local
The calm atmosphere is achieved at the Four Seasons through the property’s clever design, spread out with winding green paths delicately connecting each area. The range of amenities (including restaurants, several pool areas built exclusively, a first-class spa and sports facilities, cultural center activities, and the pristine beach) reinforces the understated feel you would expect in Hawaii. The lush gardens complement and enhance the beauty of the natural Hawaiian landscape. This localized focus on natural resources is carried out in the dining experience, which is almost entirely dependent on local food sources.
The Four Seasons Resort is located at the southern end of the Kohala Coast but still removed from bustling Kailua-Kona.
Ilha Grande is full of natural wonders, including active volcanoes, where visitors can see lava flows, numerous beaches, and tropical forests. It is by far the largest of the Hawaiian islands, so be prepared to drive to experience some of the main attractions.
- 15-minute drive to Kona International Airport
- 2-hour drive to Hilo International Airport
- 45-minute drive to Waimea
- 30-minute drive to Kailua-Kona
- 2-hour drive to Mauna Kea Observatories (at the summit)
- 4-hour drive to Hawaii Volcanoes National Park, home to the island’s most famous volcanoes
Spacious, bright, and decadent
The careful attention to design at the Four Seasons extends to the comfortable rooms and suites, modern and bright with a welcoming feel. Accents such as canopy headboards (in suites) and high-end original artwork add to space’s decadent feel. Marble bathrooms in the suites with oversized bathtubs and even more extensive showers are also notable.
- Excellent in-room amenities, like iHome clock radios, twice-daily maid service with turndown aromatherapy, and bath salts and aromatherapy candles
- Spacious, bright, and elegant, with vaulted ceilings
- Beautiful views from all rooms
- Stunning marble bathrooms
- Private balconies with comfortable furniture
- L’Occitane branded personal care products
- Sea views have a lava rock outdoor shower
World-class facilities, variety, and all types of luxuries
During the 40 million dollar hotel renovation (completed in 2009), no detail has been overlooked. The most notable are the seven pools: Each is designed and built exclusively, ranging from the iconic Tree on the Pool beach to King Pond (a natural rock aquarium for snorkeling). The many fitness activities, including rock climbing, yoga, Pilates, and traditional gym equipment, complement the highly regarded tennis and golf programs. The first-class spa has many relaxing options before and after treatment, including a unique water garden and saunas, which are scattered among the lush garden paths.
- Seven differently designed pools, ranging from adults-only to kid-friendly (along with a natural lava-rock aquarium)
- Three spacious 1,300 square foot gyms, plus free access to the sauna, whirlpool, and steam room
- Great Hualalai Spa with outdoor water garden, four outdoor hales, and a boutique spa
- Eight tennis courts, two of which are lit for night games, with a full-service tennis pro shop
- 18-hole private golf course designed by Jack Nicklaus, with a 1,400 square foot clubhouse and driving range
- Cultural center with a variety of classes, a children’s pool, and a full-day activity program for ages five to 12, along with a teen-oriented game and activity center
All Inclusive / Food
Three restaurants and two lounges with seasonal menus and local, gourmet cuisine
Although there are technically only three restaurants, the dining options still feel abundant (and they are all top-notch). Tree Beach’s full menus are available for in-room dining. Besides, guests can choose to book a special dinner on the beach for one or two couples, or up to 12 people for a family atmosphere, with private servers, its exclusive beachfront location, and floral centerpieces or leis.
- Tree Beach: Casual indoor/outdoor beachside dining room with a focus on California-Italian fare and cocktails mixed with fresh, local ingredients
- Hualalai Grille: classic American steakhouse with Hawaiian accents, overlooking the Hualalai Golf Course
- ‘ULU Ocean Grill and Sushi Lounge: delicate dining fish and seafood restaurant with outdoor seating and stunning views
- Tree Bar Beach: 20 steps from the ocean, featuring a tropical signature cocktail menu